Friday, February 11, 2011

Allergies

Folks have been asking so I thought I would write a quick update on Bryce. We saw the allergist yesterday and she confirmed that yes, we are definitely dealing with allergies. Although he didn't have his usual rash, his excema was making an appearance. Unfortunately though, he can't be tested yet because one, he's not yet 6 mos old, and two, he's breastfed and apparently if they were to test a breastfed infant, they would actually be testing me since he has all my antibodies. So the POA is that I am now on a strict elimination diet. For the next 6 weeks I have to stay away from milk, eggs, nuts, and seafood.

Nuts and seafood are no big deal, but the milk and eggs are a bit more of a challenge as they are in A LOT of things. I was a little overwhelmed with it all at first, but today is better. I'm planning to go to the store tonight and find some Lactaid, some type of egg subsititute, and hopefully some butter substitute and a bread. I think once I have those staples, I will be ok. I am such a cereal/bread/milk person that this is difficult and I find myself staring in the fridge or pantry and all I see is things I CAN'T eat. So I need some food ideas! If you have any, please send them my way!

I will say, I think Bryce is better today! He still did not sleep well last night (awake every 2-3 hours), but this morning he took a good nap, something he hasn't done in a few weeks now which I think is related to his allergies...he's been so miserable that he can't settle down. He's also acting happier when he's not in my arms...also something that hasn't happened in several weeks.

I wish we had a definitive answer on what is causing his issues, but unfortunately we will have to be patient and wait to see how he reacts to this new diet. Assuming he does well, then it's a matter of slowly adding things back in and observing the response. It's like high school biology all over again!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Hey, there's a butter called Nucoa that is dairy free. Also, if you don't notice a difference with just lactaid, it could be milk proteins that are the culprit so try soy milk or even raw milk.
I know it's rough but you can do it! I had to do all the elimination diet with Skylar and it was so hard but so worth it. Call me if you need support (or ideas). :D

Remember dairy hides in things as sodium caseinate, and as whey proteins.

love you and praying!